How to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- You first will need to create an FSA ID. This ID gives you access to Federal Student Aid's online systems and serves as your legal signature for your FAFSA. You will create one & your parent/legal guardian will be required to create their own FSA ID as well in order to sign your FAFSA. To create your FSA ID, please click here. If you need help creating your FSA ID, please call 1-800-557-7394.
- On or after October 1, 2017 students will visit www.fafsa.gov. This is the official FAFSA site. DO NOT complete the application at www.fafsa.com or any other website that asks you for a fee. The deadline to submit the 2018-2019 FAFSA for TN Promise students is January 26, 2018.
- Make sure to select the 2018-2019 FAFSA application.
- You will utilize 2016 tax information. If you or your parent/guardian has not completed 2016 taxes at the time of FAFSA completion, you must select "I will file my taxes," file the 2018-2019 FAFSA based on estimations and later update your FAFSA with the filed tax information.
- If you have questions while completing your FAFSA, click here or contact the FAFSA helpline at 1-800-433-3243.