Changing Lives, Transforming Communities
The tnAchieves Blog
July 16, 2020
With this fall term looking different than usual, make sure you are as prepared as possible to start off on the right foot. To be sure that you are prepared, follow this checklist before classes start. Although every college is different, this list is a great starting point to make sure you have everything you need to succeed in your classes.
- Financial Aid - Call the financial aid office or check your college account to verify that they have everything they need from you.
- Class registration – Check in with the admissions office to register for an orientation and your fall classes. Remember that even online classes fill up quickly so be sure to register ASAP to secure your spot.
- Computer – Make sure you have access to a working computer that has up-to-date software. Download any software that you may need for classes ahead of time (ex: Zoom, Skype, etc.).
- Wifi – If you do not have Wifi access at home, make sure to find a reliable internet source before the term starts. Look into places like a local library, community center or a coffee shop.
- Email – You will be given a college email address once you are accepted. Email is the primary method of communication used by most colleges, so be sure to check all of your email accounts at least once a day!
- Textbooks – Even online classes can require textbooks. Your professors will let you know what materials are needed for their class via the syllabus or email. Make sure to order textbooks and course materials ahead of the first day of class.
- COVID Procedures and Updates – Each college has a different COVID plan in place so be sure to familiarize yourself with your college’s policy. You can find updates on the college’s website, social media, email and more. Make a habit to check this regularly so you are up to date on the latest plans.
- tnAchieves Mentor – Check in with your tnAchieves mentor before you start the fall term. Remember that your mentor is here to answer questions, provide advice, listen and support you throughout your college journey. If you do not have your mentor’s contact information, email email@example.com!
- Virtual Meeting – Schedule a virtual meeting with your tnAchieves coach! Coaches are here as an additional resource to support you as you start the fall term. These short meetings are incredibly helpful when it comes to finalizing your college plans. Sign up here: https://www.tfaforms.com/4812297